Friday, August 14, 2009

Making Friends

Ratchet’s Report:
I never thought I’d say this, but it’s been a good couple of days. Despite the fact that Clank is kind of a pest (he follows me around all the time looking at me with this dopey look on his face), we’ve been doing some cool stuff.

I was kind of worried that my Moms were going to toss me in the trash now that they’ve got this brand new guy, since he’s so cute and all. But my Mommy Annie is so great; she took me on a really long walk, just her & me yesterday morning. And my Mommy Shar let me sit with her on the couch and gave me lots of attention, even when Clank was around. I felt much better after that.

Of course, Mommy Shar stopped petting me every time I growled at Clank, so I figured out pretty fast that I should knock that off. Sigh.

Then all three of us (me, Jive and Clank) took a walk with the Moms, and I gotta tell you, that Clank is hilarious. What a goof! Jive and I were just doing our usual thing, trotting along, and this little nutjob would come running up alongside us at about 100 mph with his tongue hanging out of his mouth and a really silly grin on his face. I had a hard time looking stern at him. After all, a guy has to maintain a certain level of decorum on a walk. You don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of all the other dogs in the yards & houses along the way.

The coolest thing I’ve discovered about having a puppy along is that people go out of their way to come up and pet you. It’s like he’s an affection magnet. We got loves from the lady who lives on the corner, and our neighbor Mike called his wife, Carolyn, out to see the little dude. Naturally, Jive and I took full credit for the new arrival, and everyone thought we were great guys.

The only beef I have is that the little furball has weaseled his way into the bedroom at night, while Jive and I are stuck in the living room and kitchen. I did my best pouty face and Mommy Annie has been falling all over herself to make me feel better. I’m trying to work my way onto the bed tonight. Keeping my digits crossed.


Clank’s Comments:
Things have been really good here up until this afternoon.

I think I’m getting the hang of my potty training. I’ve been watching my big brother Jive, and he even came outside with me and Mommy in the middle of the night and reminded me to do all my business before I go back inside. He’s so smart! Today Mommy Shar said she was so proud that I went outside all by myself to piddle after breakfast.

I think Ratchet is coming around. We’ve bumped noses a few times, and he lets me follow him around so I can learn the rules. Sometimes he gets crabby with me and shows me “the fang,” but I take it in stride. I’m such a nice guy, he’s just gotta love me.

Yesterday I had a big adventure when we went to Natural Pet Northwest. It’s a really neat store and everything there is really good for dogs and cats, and the people are so nice they gave me a bunch of free treats. It doesn’t get any better than free food. They said I could come back any time.

We had to get me a collar for walks. My nifty blue harness doesn’t work so well when Mommy is trying to teach me how to walk on a leash – I can’t figure out what she wants. So, she got me a red collar that goes with my flex-lead and it’s got doggy pirates on it, with real eye-patches and everything. I feel so cool when I am wearing it.

We took two whole walks yesterday and today. I never knew about walking on a leash, but I think I’m getting the hang of it now that I have my new collar. Must be the pirates. I walk with Mommy Shar while Mommy Annie and the other guys go ahead, then I race up next to Ratchet and Jive really fast. I usually find something interesting to look at or sniff, so they get ahead of me, and I do it all over again. Mommy Shar says it’s my “robics” or something like that. I just think it’s fun.

I met some nice people and found lots of trees and bushes to piddle on, and best of all, I saw a real fire hydrant. What an upscale neighborhood! I also barked at all the dogs in all the yards.

I don’t know what I did, but for some reason, the Moms decided to torture me by taping my ears this afternoon. And every time I scratch at the tape, they put my foot on the floor and say, “No!” Mommy Annie told me I have a lazy ear and it needs to be taped so my “cart-ledge” can get stronger. Where is this cart and why is it on a ledge, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment