Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Vicious Buddies

Ratchet’s Report:

Remember in the last post that I mentioned that the kid is teething? Oh boy, has he got it bad! He chews on anything that gets within mouth range, including me, and those baby teeth are pointy. But I take my job as big brother very seriously, so I persevere in spite of the fact that I am turning into a puppy pin cushion.



We are currently working on “fierce dog” skills, which involves a lot of wrestling and plenty of mouth-fencing. Now for you humans out there, mouth-fencing is an important aspect of the early training of a good guard Corgi. There are four basic parts to mouth-fencing training that every good instructor knows: 1) the play bow, so the other guy knows it’s all in good fun; 2) the roll-over to lure the opponent into thinking you’re giving in; 3) flashing of the teeth (open mouth as wide as possible), accompanied by ferocious growling; and 4) the “death bite” delivered to the neck, leg or body.

You have to be careful with that last one, so you don’t hurt the other guy. And, of course, when the other guy’s had enough, he squeaks “uncle,” and everybody play bows and returns to a neutral corner.

The kid is really crazy about training and wants to do it all day. I love it, but after three or four hours, I just want a break. So, I get up on the couch and tell him to go annoy Mommy Shar or clean up the back yard.

It’s tough being a good doggy daddy, but rewarding. I recommend it to any other dogs out there who are on the fence about getting a puppy. Great exercise and you can blame all your bad behavior on the kid. Good times.

Clank’s Report:

My big brother is the coolest! He’s teaching me mouth-fencing and chase and tug-o-war and all kinds of good stuff. I so look up to him. I follow him everywhere and kiss his chin so he knows how much I adore him.

It’s funny, but sometimes he just growls at me, gets up on the couch and goes to sleep. What’s with that, anyway?

I suppose sometimes a guy just has to crash. After a long day, I do, too.

2 comments:

  1. *laughs*

    Aww, well, poor guy. I have to say that my crew agrees with you, Ratchet. Sometimes it's best to take the high road - well, or the high sofa, in this case! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up...

    I'm so glad they get along so well. Pan is Rogue's primary fencing instructor. Celie supervises and polices occasionally jumping in to show them she's still capable of knocking a few heads around.

    ReplyDelete